How might Christmas affect my Mental Health?
Whether or not Christmas is part of your life, you might be affected by it happening around you.
It’s a time of year that often puts extra pressure on us.
For example, you might:
- feel alone because everyone else seems happy and cheery, when you’re not
- wish Christmas could move because it’s bad timing
- want to celebrate with someone who’s struggling.
“…listening to other people’s exciting plans makes me feel like an alien being, as I don’t have all those wonderful relationships in my life.”
The Christmas period could impact your mental health in other ways too. For example:
- Your Mental health might make it hard for you to spend Christmas how you want.
- Difficult and stressful experiences at Christmas can make your mental health worse.
- Enjoying Christmas might affect your mental health.
- It can be harder to access services, and some will be closed.
What can I do?
If Christmas is a hard time for you, it’s important to remember that you are not alone, and there are things you can try that might help. We’ve written this information to help you: